Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Days 21 - 22 - YoYo

I noticed on the PCP home page Patrick's recent brain dump on eating your water and hadn't really noticed that i had indeed been drinking much less water.  Prior to beginning this project, i would suck down anywhere between 5-8 liters of water a day - typically going through 1.5 cases of volvic (1.5 ltr bottles) a week.  Seemed like I was always thirsty and that the water was not having any impact in suppressing my appetite.  For the past 2 weeks, am at 3-5 liters daily.  A liter or so in the am before working out, but then it is generally a bottle in the morning and one in the afternoon at work.  Curiously, I am not feeling as thirsty even though I am downing 2-3 more coffees than normal. 

Now that we are a quarter of the way through this, week 3 ended well and week 4 started poorly.  Woke up ridiculously early tuesday and took to a run in place of the skips.  It was my first run in about a month and I had previously been going for 30-50k a week since April as part of my efforts to bring the weight back down under the even c-note, so I was very curious how it would feel.  Went for an easy 8k and felt unusually spry - there was some definite muscle soreness from the time off, but my legs felt lighter and the breathing never really got out of control.   Not sure how long I could have kept it up, but felt like i could have pulled off another 5 with no problem.  Meal wise, I ate out for all three, and managed to stay on program (still have trouble ponying up 35 euros for 2 eggs, whole wheat bread, milk and veggies for breakfast at the hotel, but by avoiding my friend mr. booze, I have been feeling unusually flush these days) and was happily in bed by 9pm.

Day 22 did not start well - where I felt spry and agile yesterday, today I was the drunken sailor on shore leave in the china shop.  I was the exact opposite of a 'demon on the jump rope' tripping all over myself every 100 - 150 skips, almost like i forgot how to skip during yesterday's run.  I also fumbled around with my bands way too much during the workout, could barely manage the incline pull-ups and  failed (again) to knock out all the sit-ups (4x25?) getting only 20, 19, 20 and 15 done with what was definitely more than 20 sec of rest.  I guess it was just one of those mornings.  On the exercises, I am not sure how everyone else is faring, but I am just not good on pull-ups and sit-ups - these are my turn to the left.

3 comments:

  1. Yo.

    Its funny you say that about the water. Until recently I was draining 2 big bottles of Volvic just in the office alone (3 ltrs.) plus countless glasses of water in the morning and evening. I think it was part dehydration from drinking and eating salty food all the time. I am down to less than 1 bottle in the office now.

    I hear you about the pull-ups too. They are definitely my least favourite thing. The reality is the back is one of the bodies biggest my muscles, but in my case of my weakest.

    Try alternating feet when you skip. I keep varying feet and speeds throughout so it mixes up the routine and you dont get tired jumping on two feet the whole time.

    As for the sit-ups, im just doing crunches as actual sit ups were killing my lower back. The hurt just as bad but are easier to push through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to be the one to break the bad news, but 22 < 1/4 * 90, but you're moving along!

    All of the exercise will come in time, hang in there.

    Excellent Zoolander reference...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think everyone has areas on the exercise side where they are weak...for me it's the shoulder exercises and pull ups that I can't seem to get thru. I suspect though as long as you are wearing out the muscle and then giving it a chance to repair you'll find that finishing the reps comes in time.

    ReplyDelete