Sunday, October 24, 2010

Boredom

Saw Patrick's email this morning and will make a better effort to post more regularly, even if I really don't feel like I have much to say.  So here are some random brain dumps, as I sit struggling with the boredom that comes with a solo Sunday in Germany.

- Spending a week away from the family is getting much harder to do.  Thank the tech gods for skype, but BC changes so much from week to week, and it is really hard not having our daily man time.
- Unlike at least one member of Orange Crush, I have nothing against eggs and in fact generally like them.  Still, I would like some alternatives for the morning protein - smoked salmon and capers, cold cuts, sashimi, pickled herring, anything.  The eggs are getting to be overly mundane, especially now that we get them for breakfast and dinner.  On the other hand, all of the hotel staff know what i am ordering before i mutter the first word of the order everyday.
- There are better ways to get your lunch protein than zweibelwurst (raw, minced sausage and onions), and this form of protein should probably be avoided even when in a borderline state of panic for feed.  Not that it tastes that bad, but raw minced pork (yes, the meat we are supposed to avoid) can't be that good for you.
- Been really ambivalent toward the workouts this week.  Went 4 workouts on the rope without tripping, and didn't really feel any sense of accomplishment.  Also, the pistol squat everyday is kind of a bore (though the tendon behind my right knee tells me otherwise), and I think I like partnering it with the creep more than the jump.  I still suck at situps - made 25, 25, 20, 18 today - and have no problem with plank after bicycle, v-sits, and leg ups,  but plank after sit-ups - helloooo pain.  Tony Hawk could probably pull a 720 using my inverted spine as a half pipe from seconds 30 to 40 on set 4.
- Picked an apartment this week for January - place is fat, but in Germany, they come spartan, meaning I have to buy light fixtures, closets, a kitchen and all appliances, etc.  What really sucks is that everything is 240V, and the TV's are  PAL (not NTSC)  which means most everything will have utterly no (or very little) residual value to me if I come back to Japan or move to the US after the year.  Did some furniture shopping yesterday, which is really pointless without my wife, to mentally prep myself for the check that will have to be written for said items.
- Retailers are closed on Sundays in Germany by law, ostensibly to conform with a clause in the German constitution that it should be a day of rest and spiritual elevation.  If religion isn't your thing, drinking establishments and the red light district are open for alternative forms of spiritual elevation, which seems like a contradiction to me.  Still, for a man of PCP prescribed clean living, and with most local friends out of town this weekend, these days are really challenging - managing to get through it without committing ritual harikiri is the goal.
- Apologies if this is TMI, but I thought the healthy living was supposed to make my digestive system more regular?   Been very irregular this week and it really seems like there is a giant input / output disconnect - lots of blow, but no flow, which is kind of frustrating.

Congrats to all for hitting the 40 day mark, and to those veterans with 5 more days to go - I can't wait to be in your shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment